Thursday, June 26, 2008

I just want to also point out that

Lenore of the relentless love, who stars all over Jon Katz's blog, also works as a hospice therapy dog. I can't think of a better way to fully realize the potential of relentless love.

I was fortunate enough to briefly meet a San Diego therapy dog while interning at the hospice here. I was standing at a counter filling out paperwork, and all of a sudden I felt someone snuffling at my left hand. When I turned around, I was looking down at a lovely, poised, brown Doberman making goo-goo eyes at me. I squatted down and we chatted, and he pushed his funny-shaped head into my chest in that way that big dogs do that is sort of their version of a hug. We had just met and already he was demonstrating his therapeutic and relentless love to me. And even though I'd felt mostly fine before meeting him, I felt better after our meeting.

I've always known that animals, and dogs in particular, are good for us, but the photos and stories about Lenore's and Izzy's hospice work show it so clearly.

Warning: You might not want to click through to the links above if you are somewhere where you will feel uncomfortable being emotional.

No comments: