Today I woke up with a scratchy throat, a persistent cough, and that flu-ey run-over feeling, which came up out of nowhere. I was feeling fine yesterday--actually feeling pretty fantastic all week.
I have about three months to go before I take the exam to get licensed as a primary care provider in California. So based on the knowledge I've studied my booty off to acquire over the last four years, here is what I should have done:
1) Canceled on the late-night bridal shower for my good friend that I've been really excited to attend so that I can get to bed early.
2) Self-assessed: viewed my own tongue, attempted to feel my own pulse, considered my symptomology. Diagnosed a wind-dryness invasion with underlying lung qi vacuity.
3) Made a decoction of various herbs. Drank said decoction. Cooked a large pot of congee with ginger, ate that throughout the day; in general stuck to typical Sidewalk Monkey no-processed-foods diet. Wrapped up in large scarf and warm hoodie and long pants and wool socks to encourage sweating and protect myself from drafts.
4) Practiced a little qi gong to keep my qi flowing and encourage healing.
5) Gone to bed early.
Here is what I am actually doing:
1) Canceled on the late-night bridal shower for my good friend that I've been really excited to attend because I feel like crap.
2) Rolled around in my bed most of the day. Accomplished very little besides rolling around in bed. Watched old episodes of The Office on my laptop. Wished I had ice cream. Called boyfriend at frequent intervals to egregiously solicit sympathy. Called sister and solicited extra sympathy. Called friends and solicted still more symptathy. Wore tank top and boyshorts all day.
3) Drank some wine. Walked to corner store; would have driven but car is broken. Bought Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles, Ben and Jerry's Make Poverty History Cheesecake Brownie Ice Cream, and Benadryl.
4) Drank more wine, ate chips and ice cream while watching more old episodes of The Office. Cried whenever Pam cries on screen. Got kind of drunk, because I'm a lightweight, and I drank two whole glasses of wine.
5) Decided I will probably go to bed early, after dosing self with Benadryl both to aid sleep and decrease furious histamine reaction resulting from snuggles with lovely kitty cat. Before going to bed, will probably dance around in bathroom mirror while lip-syncing to Alicia Keys.
So: I am practicing self-forgiveness. I acknowledge that I have my crappy, rather less responsible days, and I guess this was one of them. I worked a bit harder than I think I really have the capacity for this week; I had a lot of fun too, but definitely not enough sleep. I tell my patients how important rest and self-care are to their health, and I think that at some point I really need to heed my own advice.